Thursday, September 25, 2008

Faith in Action!: James 1.19-27

 Be quick to hear (v. 19)
  • Read the Bible
  • Listen to sermons
  • Attend Sunday school
  • Listen to the Bible on cd
  • Listen to Christian radio
  • Watch Christian television
  • Attend Bible studies

 

Be slow to speak

  • Listen more than you talk.
  • Think before you speak
  • Think about what you are going to say
  • Consider all the implications of your actions and words.

 

Be slow to anger

  • Hold your temper
  • Learn to count to 10

 

Do what your faith teaches you to do… (v. 22)

            Practice what you hear/ preach.

 

Practical steps for putting your faith into action…

  • Bridle your tongue. (v. 26- There will be more on this later in James). Do not get caught up in gossip, swearing, negativity, lying.
  • Visit orphans and widows. (v. 27) There are more people in need now than at any time that I can remember. Now it appears that it will only get worse. Do not be afraid to care for and share with others who are in need.
  • Keep yourself pure. (v. 27) Do not get involved in things that are sinful or displeasing to God. Be careful always. Think about what Jesus would do.

2 comments:

Rev Dewey said...

Which is harder for you: Being quick to listen, slow to speak, or slow to anger? Why is that so?

Anonymous said...

For me, slow to speak and slow to anger usually go together. Unfortunately I tend not to be slow to speak and it is due to my quick anger. I get irritated way too easily and I tend to blurt out things that may be exagerated and sometimes hurtful. I tend to like things "my way" and instead of thinking things through before I speak I usually speak what is on my mind and usually with a touch of anger/frustration. This is something I have been trying to work through and have been having some success - just be stepping back from the situation. Think of the WHOLE picture before making any judgements.