Thursday, October 9, 2008

Faith vs Works: James 2.14-26

There are a lot of problems that people have with their faith. In fact, the Bible sometimes seem to add to the confusion. Paul emphasizes the role of faith without works. It is grace through faith that allows for salvation (Ephesians 2.8-9). James, on the other hand, teaches that faith will result in good works.

This passage includes discussion of three different ways of looking at faith.
  1. Dead Faith (James 2.14-17) There are some people who believe that having the right information is enough. If we study, read, listen and learn we will be saved. James refers to this approach as dead faith. This is a faith that deals with the intellect only.
  2. Demonic Faith (James 2.18-20) Other men and women understand that information and intellect are not enough to grant salvation. There also must be emotional involvement as well. The unfortunate part of this is that demons are also aware of the need for belief in God. Intellect and emotions are better than intellect alone, but it is still not enough.
  3. Dynamic Faith (James 2.21-26) Intellect, emotions and will are all required to have salvation. We must have the information. We must believe the information. And we must act on the information. We must do something about what we believe.
June 9-19 Jamaica
April 5-8 Kokomo Urban Outreach
November 22 Saturday of Service

4 comments:

Rev Dewey said...

Which of the three 'types' of faith best describes your life most of the time? What needs to happen for you to move to a dynamic faith?

Pigeon River said...

I would love to say "dynamic" however being a realist I would probably have to answer "denomic"

I know in my head & my heart that God is real, that God is good, and that God loves me just as I am; that he has forgiven me & saved me; and I know that I need to be doing His will constantly. But sometimes I get caught up the busyness of life and put God in the backseat.

Maybe I should quit my job & work for the Lord? No, really -- this morning I was reading in Ephesians about the armor of God. The devotional urged each of us to put on this armor every morning when we arise. I think that would be the best answer to making my faith a "dynamic" one. And to mentally don each piece of the armor & ask for God's blessing, guidance & wisdom as I meet the challenges of the day ahead.
Ann

Anonymous said...

Isn't it interesting that the only way to move into dynamic faith is to first try and resolve the conflict and imbalance between dead and demonic faith so that you can act on faith? I need to challenge my faith both intellectually and emotionally, to hear whether it's God or me who's pushing me to something. When I think about the big leaps I've taken on faith and the works that came out of them, they've been things that have been, very obviously, God things. But the little things in life? I get stuck in the debate between the first two and can't always figure out where I am or how to move forward before I've missed the "works" opportunity. Most of the time, though, I'm in the "demonic faith" category...

Paula said...

I have to agree with the other two about my own faith. I want to have dynamic faith, but I am not acting on my faith like I should. I believe the closer to God I come, the more I will act on my faith, so, the first thing I must do is draw near to Him. Then, acts, or a dynamic faith, will naturally follow.